A Dominican friar was once asked why he wore the impossible-to-be-kept-clean white Dominican habit. He responded, “So I remember that I am a Dominican and try to act like it.” The funny thing about what you wear is that it forms you It changes you bit by bit. The old adage “The clothes make the man” is true. When people dress up in formal attire, almost instinctively their manners dress up as well. Because we are incarnated beings, what we do with our bodies changes who we are. Building a habit of dressing sloppily forms one’s character to be sloppy. The goal of the St. Ambrose dress code is not to oppress the students, but rather to assist each student to build virtues by making choices that lead to the good habits of modesty, charity, obedience in small things, and diligence.
A dress code allows the student to concentrate on studies rather than on fashion. It helps maintain school spirit and student safety, discouraging peer pressure. The dress code also helps young people to see the dignity of their peers without judgment based on exterior appearances. St. Ambrose Academy fosters reverence and respect through appropriate dress and teaches one of the great Gospel messages, that of simplicity of lifestyle.
Teachers will make dress-code disciplinary decisions on the spot.
Types of Uniforms
There are two main types of uniforms, Daily and Dress, but students may also wear “Spirit Wear” on occasion.
Daily Uniform: To be worn any day but Dress days.
Dress Uniform: To be worn on Dress days or as desired.
Spirit Wear: Spirit Wear bears the St. Ambrose Academy logo or the mascot from school-approved sports or clubs. On Spirit Days, students may wear:
- A Spirit Wear sweatshirt or hoody with an approved dress code shirt underneath.
- A Spirit Wear T-shirt.
- Uniform pants or uniform skirts for on-campus activities.
- Uniform jogger pants or blue jeans without holes for outdoor field trips. On warm days (temperature above 60 degrees), uniform gym shorts may be permitted. No other shorts options will be permitted.
- After May 1, seniors who have formally accepted admission to a college or university or enrolled in the military may wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, or hoodies from their future school/branch of the military on the designated Spirit Day following the same conditions.
Where to Purchase?
All selections may be purchased from the Lands’ End Uniform Catalog over the phone (1-800-469-2222) or online (www.landsend.com/school) or from local retail stores consistent with the “Lands’ End school uniform look.” Lands’ End provides a 3% rebate to the school; use School Code 900089046.
Depending on the location of where the items are purchased, the minimum cost of the uniform will be around $200 for the quantities indicated below for girls and boys, not including the cost of shoes and socks that would have to be purchased even if the student didn’t attend St. Ambrose Academy.
An annual uniform swap is arranged by parent volunteers. After the first year or two, the cost goes down as families trade and recycle clothes as their children grow out of them. Students usually do not have to replace their entire wardrobe every year.
Girls will need, at a minimum, one skirt, one pair of pants, one dress shirt, two polo shirts, one pair of gym shorts, one gym shirt, one hoodie sweatshirt, and one pair of sweatpants.
- Modest makeup is permitted.
- No hats, neckties, tattoos, hair dyed in an unnatural color, or extreme hair.
- Hair clips, bobby pins, hair ties, navy / dark crimson hair bands may be worn, but no bandanas.
- Navy blue scarves may be worn (winter only).
- Jewelry should consist of simple adornments which are not distracting, such as small earrings, religious medals, and rings that are not indicative of any romantic relationship.
- No sleeveless, tight (i.e. a one-inch pinch of fabric tensions), or immodest clothing.
- T-shirts, camisoles, or undershirts under polo or dress shirt must be plain white or same color as polo or dress shirt. Students should wear a camisole or undershirt under white shirts if shirt is a lighter fabric.
- Only first top button may be undone.
- No boat shoes, moccasins, sandals, crocs, slippers, boots, or sneakers.
- The hem of the skirt must meet the top of the knee.
- Skirts may not be rolled up at the waist.
|Items for Girls||Color||Daily||Dress|
|Skirt: Plaid Pleated or Plaid A-Line||Clear blue plaid||x|
|Dress Uniform Blouse: Three-Quarter or Full-Length Sleeve Oxford||Chambray blue or white||x|
|Daily Uniform Shirt: Fit-for-her mesh polo short or long sleeve, interlock polo short or long sleeve||Chambray blue or white||x|
|Sweater: Vest, zip-front cardigan or hooded cable cardigan, crewneck, or fleece jacket, or any Lands End uniform cardigan||Navy||x||x|
|Pants: Stretch stain-resistant flares, Feminine fit plain front chinos or front flare chinos, IZOD flat-front, Arizona favorite trousers||Khaki or navy||x|
|Shoes: Any dress shoe (e.g. saddle shoes, Mary Janes, Oxfords, or dress flats) or ankle-high dress boot with no more than 1” heel||Black, brown, navy, or black-and-white saddle shoes||x||x|
|Knee Socks||Navy, black, tan, or white||x||x|
|Tights||Navy, black, or white opaque||x||x|
Boys will need, at a minimum, two pairs of pants, one dress shirt, one tie, two polo shirts, one pair of gym shorts, one gym shirt, one hoodie sweatshirt, and one pair of sweatpants.
Boys will need, at a minimum,two pairs of pants, one dress shirt, one tie, two polo shirts, one pair of gym shorts, one gym shirt, one sweatshirt, and one pair of sweatpants.
- No hats, beards, mustaches, tattoos, hair dyed in an unnatural color, or extreme hair.
- Hair must be above the ears and collar line.
- Jewelry is restricted to religious medals and rings not indicative of romantic relationships.
- No canvas/mesh boat shoes, moccasins, sandals, crocs, slippers, or sneakers.
- Only first top button may be undone
.; when wearing a tie, shirt should be buttoned up to the top.
- Belt must be worn.
- Shirts must be tucked in.
- T-shirts worn under polo or dress shirt must be plain white or same color as polo or dress shirt.
|Items for Boys||Color||Daily||Dress|
|Dress Uniform Shirt: Easy Care Oxford short or long sleeve||Chambray blue or white||x|
|Daily Uniform Shirt: Mesh polo, short or long sleeve, interlock polo, short or long sleeve||Navy or white||x|
|Sweater: Vest, crewneck, or zip-front cardigan||Navy||x||x|
|Pants: Plain-front, pleated, or elastic waist plain-front Chinos||Khaki or navy||x||x|
|Shoes: Oxford dress shoes or ankle-high dress boots||Brown or black||x||x|
|Socks: Crew socks||Navy, black, or tan||x||x|
|Belt||Black or brown||x||x|
|Tie: Navy/dark crimson stripe, or bow tie||Navy/dark crimson||x|
Physical Education clothing must be worn during all P.E. classes. Students attend P.E. classes once per week in Junior High and according to the elective schedule in High School.
- Students must wear school-approved shorts available through Land’s End; when the arms are straight down at the side, the bottom of the shorts is below the longest finger.
- Students must wear t-shirts or sweatshirts with the St. Ambrose Academy logo or lettering, or that of school-approved sports.
|Items for Boys and Girls||Color|
|Athletic Shorts: |
*When the arms are straight down at the side, the bottom of the shorts is below the longest finger.
|Navy, black, or gray|
|Short-sleeve T-shirt||Navy, gray, or SAA Spirit Wear|
|Sweatshirt Crewneck or hoodie (recommended for winter)||Navy, gray, or SAA Spirit Wear|
|Sweatpants (recommended for winter)||Navy or gray|
|Athletic Pants (recommended for winter)||Navy|
|Athletic Shoes||Any color|