Catholic classical education recognizes children as creatures made in the image and likeness of God who are meant to be with Him. To foster that relationship, we help all students seek and find Truth through a curriculum that plays to diverse strengths. We view education as training, and we view each student as an individual with unique capabilities. Teachers use Socratic dialogue to help students learn how to respond to ideas using their God-given reason and intellect and then provide them with well-marked pathways to hone skills that they can then apply to all academic disciplines.
Learning Services provides academic support for students who benefit from attention outside the standard curriculum. Committed to helping all learners succeed, Learning Services offers many types of support for students at no extra cost to families (although some course-specific tutoring may incur a fee).
Learning Services seeks to create an environment where all students feel good about learning and the support they are receiving. We accomplish this by creating a space where students can see themselves improving and experience the happiness that comes from the positive results of hard work.
Classical Education is for ALL students!
Approximately 20% of St. Ambrose Academy students receive specialized academic support tailored to their unique learning styles. Learning Services is overseen and coordinated by Dean of Academic Success Michael Kwas and implemented by our Learning Services Manager, Angela Hineline. They are joined by a team of learning specialists, learning coaches, and peer mentors.
It takes real teamwork to support a student with learning challenges. At St. Ambrose Academy we believe parents are the first educators of their children. We value and appreciate parental expertise. We believe that strong home and school partnerships are an important part of student success. We invest time and care into our parent-teacher relationships because we believe that together we can move mountains.
Our approach to assisting families and students with learning needs is both individualized and dynamic.
- Learning Services delivers individualized academic support to students by
- Designing and implementing Learning Support Plans for students with unique learning challenges.
- Designing and implementing Academic Support Plans for students who may need an accommodation to our curriculum
- Providing academic coaching and remedial support to students who need extra attention with homework completion and test preparation.
- Offering algebra and geometry labs led by math specialists.
- Collaborating with The Learning Atrium to ensure students with Dyslexia receive tailored reading intervention.
- Creating proactive feedback loops between home and school to ensure academic goals for individual students are met.
- Education at St. Ambrose Academy is a highly collaborative effort amongst the Learning Services Department, students, and parents. Learning Services works in partnership with faculty members by
- Providing training and resources to teachers supporting students with unique challenges.
- Assisting teachers with meeting learning needs during major class assignments, such as research papers and science projects.
- Additionally, Learning Services provides enrichment to all St. Ambrose students in various ways throughout the year, including:
- Drop-in support for any student who needs a little extra help with homework.
- Writing workshops.
- Guidance with independent study opportunities.
St. Ambrose Academy values every student!
The ultimate goal of classical education at St. Ambrose is to provide a Catholic environment that forms life-long learners. To do so, the Learning Services specialist becomes the student’s learning coach, academic skills trainer, and encourager. The specialist, like a St. Simon of Cyrene, walks alongside the student, helping carry the load until they reach the finish line.
If you would like to learn more about Learning Services and how we can serve your student, please reach out to Angela Hineline at email@example.com. We look forward to helping your student reach their greatest potential!